Preparing for Emergencies and Disasters
Are you and your family prepared for any potential emergency? In this time of heightened security, we are all concerned about the safety of our families and loved ones. Congress is dedicated to ensuring the security of our borders, ports, skies, and communities. While we hope that none of us will have to execute emergency plans, each of us must take steps to ensure the safety of ourselves and our families. Here are some important questions to consider:
- Do you and your family have emergency plans in case of an attack or an emergency evacuation of the area?
- Have you created an emergency kit with food and medical supplies that can be transported in the event of an evacuation?
- Have you made an emergency plan with your child’s day care center or school?
- Have you prepared your home and workplace for an emergency?
- If you or a loved one has a disability or special medical needs, have you considered the accommodations that will be necessary in the event of an emergency?
If you answered NO to any of these questions, please take the time to visit www.ready.gov or call 1-800-BE-READY to learn how to better prepare yourself and your family.
Other helpful links to federal, state, and local disaster information can also be found at the following links.