Many constituents seek assistance obtaining a U.S. passport for travel outside the United States. For many passport services, you must appear in person. For other services, you may send your forms through the U.S. mail.

For passport information and to download forms you will need for passport applications, visit the State Department website here

To check on the status of your passport application, please visit here.

To prevent the spread of COVID-19 and protect their workforce and customers, the State Department significantly reduced passport operations in March 2020. They temporarily suspended expedited passport processing and restricted service to cases involving life-or-death emergencies. As global conditions evolve and U.S. states begin to reopen, they are resuming operations in phases. They ask for your patience as they safely work on your application.

As of Monday, August 17, a total of six passport agencies and centers are in phase two, and 13 agencies and centers are in phase one of the State Department's three-phase reopening plan. Go to the Passport Agency and Center page for more information.

You can apply at an acceptance facility or renew by mail now, but unless you have a life-or-death emergency, you will experience delays before receiving your passport and the return of your citizenship documents such as previous passports, and birth and naturalization certificates.

Learn more about the current state of operations and plans to reopen in phases on the COVID-19 Update page and the Frequently Asked Questions page.   

If you have further questions, feel free to contact Congresswoman Lowey’s office at 914-428-1707 or 845-639-3485 or the National Passport Center at 877-487-2778.

Expediting Passport Applications

The State Department is not currently offering expedited service. It does not plan to resume this service until phase three of their three-phase reopening plan.

If you are traveling internationally in the next 72 hours (3 days) due to a life-or-death emergency, you must make an appointment at one of their agencies or centers.

Emergency Passport Renewals

It is sometimes possible for the Congresswoman’s Office to make emergency passport appointments for travelers who, just prior to travel, discover their passports are not valid. Please call the Congresswoman’s New City District Office at 845-639-3485 or White Plains District Office at 914-428-1707 for assistance.

Life-or-death emergencies are serious illnesses, injuries, or deaths in your immediate family (parent, legal guardian, child, spouse, sibling, and grandparent) that require you to travel outside the United States within 72 hours (3 business days). If you're traveling in more than 72 hours, learn more about Where to Apply

Call us to make an appointment for emergency passport service in case of a life-or-death emergency within 72 hours (3 business days).

You must provide:

  • A passport application with supporting documents
  • Proof of the life-or-death emergency such as a death certificate, a statement from a mortuary, or a signed letter from a hospital or medical professional. Documents must be in English or translated in English.
  • Proof of international travel (itinerary, ticket, reservation) specific to the emergency

How to Contact Us

From the United States:

From outside the United States:

Contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

New Rules Lengthening Waits for Passports

In January 2007, passport requirements changed to require passports for all travelers to and from Mexico, the Caribbean and Canada.  Due to the new Passport rules, there has been an unprecedented volume of applications that has resulted in longer processing times.  Please visit the State Department’s website for the most current information if you are renewing or applying for a new passport at

First-time Applicants (if applying in person) 

If you are applying for a passport for the first time, you must bring a completed DS-11 form, which can be found here, to a regional Passport agency in person as well as proof of citizenship and identification, such as a driver's license or Social Security card.  This can also be mailed.  See instructions on application for mail-in option.

Minors Under 14 (if applying in person)

If the applicant is a child under 14 years of age, a parent or legal guardian must appear and present evidence of the child's citizenship as well as evidence of the child's relationship to the parent or guardian. The child must also appear in person. Parents/guardians must have identification such as a foreign passport, valid driver's license, or residence card.

Lost or Stolen Passports

If your passport is lost or stolen, you must report the loss on form DSP- 64, which can be found online here.

Name changes to Passports

For a name change, visit here to complete form DSP-19.

Passport Renewals

To renew your passport, you must complete the DS-82 form and return the application along with your most recent U.S. passport to the passport agency by mail. For expedited service, to be processed 3 workdays from receipt at an agency, an additional fee applies. You can usually pick up a DS-82 form at your local post office. The form is also available online here.



Local Passport Offices

The Rockland County and Westchester County Clerks’ offices serve as Acceptance Agents for the Passport Services Division of the U.S. Department of State. Residents can submit applications to and obtain forms from your County Clerk’s office, which will review and forward applications to the U.S. Passport Agency for processing. 

Office of the Rockland County Clerk
Rockland County Courthouse
1 South Main Street, Suite 100
New City, NY 10956-3549
Tel: 845-638-5070
Fax: 845-638-5647
Visit for office hours and more information.

Office of the Westchester County Clerk
110 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd
White Plains, New York 10601
Tel: 914-995-3080
Fax: 914-995-4030
Visit for office hours and more information.