Many constituents contact Congresswoman Lowey’s office for assistance with immigration-related questions or cases. We are happy to help; however, please note that we cannot expedite cases due to the additional security and administrative clearances currently in place at the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), formerly known as the Immigration and Naturalization Services.

Below is helpful information on many aspects of the immigration process. If you need further assistance after reviewing this information, you may contact Congresswoman Lowey’s office. You should also send a privacy release form along with copies of any relevant paperwork.

Congresswoman Nita Lowey's Office
ATTN: Constituent Services
222 Mamaroneck Ave., Suite 312
White Plains, NY 10605
Phone:  914-428-1707
Fax:   914-328-1505


Congresswoman Nita Lowey's Office
ATTN: Constituent Services
67 North Main St., Suite 101
New City, NY 10956
Phone: 845-639-3485

Fax: 845-634-4079

General Immigration

Where can I get answers to basic questions about immigration applications?

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services provides on its website answers to questions about who is eligible to file, where to file, what to file, and how to file at

Additionally, you can find a fee calculator here.

Citizenship (N-400)

What if I have not heard from the US Citizenship and Immigration Services after submitting my application months ago?

If you have already submitted a citizenship application (N400) to USCIS, and you have not heard from USCIS, you can contact Congresswoman Lowey's office to find out the status of your application. The citizenship application process may take from 8 to 14 months. Additional delays may occur due to the lengthy processing time required for the completion of fingerprint security checks.

Write to Representative Lowey at the address above about your situation and include your full name, address, home and daytime phone numbers, Alien Registration number and date of birth. In addition, please include a copy of a cancelled check, money order, or Immigration Receipt that shows payment of the N-400.

Permanent Residency (I-485) (Green Card)

I applied for permanent residency months ago. My check for the application fee has been cashed but I still have not received a response.

USCIS provides processing dates for applications based on the date your application was filed. To obtain processing dates, visit their website here.

Representative Lowey's office may be able to help constituents who have submitted Adjustment of Status applications (I-485) for which the date of filing has, according to the website above, already been processed. In order to check on the status of your application, please write to Representative Lowey at the address above stating your problem, and include your full name, address, home and daytime phone numbers, date of birth, and Alien Registration number if available. In addition, please include a copy of the cancelled check or money order, a fee receipt, and/or the Notice of Action received that states the date the application was received and the priority date.

My Permanent Residency Card (Green Card) is about to expire. How and when should I renew it?

Permanent Residency cards may be renewed by filing form I-90. Approval of these applications is a lengthy process, so it is important to submit an application at least 6 months before the current card expires. This application is available here

Employment Authorization Cards (I-765)

I am in urgent need of my Employment Authorization Card. I applied two months ago and have not heard back from US Citizenship and Immigration Services. Can you help me?

Processing of work authorization permits, Form I-765, takes at least 90 days (3 months) from the date received. If you are an applicant who has been waiting more than 90 days, you may schedule an appointment through INFOPASS to visit the USCIS District office at 26 Federal Plaza in New York City. INFOPASS scheduling is available at

After you schedule an appointment, you must appear at USCIS with a copy of your appointment letter, your valid passport, and the dated I-765 and biometrics/fingerprints receipts showing that you have been waiting for more than 90 days for your work authorization. At that time, USCIS staff will process your application in person.

If you have trouble using the INFOPass system or you are not granted your employment authorization card, you may contact the CIS National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283. You may also call Congresswoman Nita Lowey’s office at 914-428-1707 or 845-639-3485 for assistance.